Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Waffling Leftovers: Savory Bread Pudding

Yes, I waffle almost all my leftovers these days.  I can't help it.  It truly enjoy it, even when the results are disastrous.

If this is your first time reading about such things, I suggest you start with my master post, and then return here, as I'm skipping the basis behind this madness here.
Savory Bread Pudding Transformation.
Today's adventure is with savory bread pudding.

I was shocked when I went to write this one up, expecting to add it on to a post about waffling regular, sweet bread pudding.  But ... I've never written about that?  I'm sure I've actually waffled it before, although I love bread pudding so much, but it reheats well normally, so maybe I actually failed to ever do an experiment (don't worry, I'll correct that!)

I knew savory bread pudding would waffle well though, just like stuffing (one of the first things I waffled!), and, it did.

Savory Bread Pudding: Will it Waffle?  #ofcourse
The Original: Apple, Caramelized Onion, and Brie Bread Pudding.
The original was savory bread pudding, made with a base of hearty whole wheat raisin pecan bread, with chunks of apple, caramelized onions, and brie.

The bread choice was ... interesting.  In some ways, it was great, as I liked the addition of the crunchy bits of pecan to the bread pudding.  The raisins, although not something I'd pick, added a sweet dimension and additional character to the base.  But it was very dense bread, and I think it soaked up the milk/cream/egg custard more than expected, resulting in a bread pudding that was very dense, and not very custardy.  The top was also fairly dried out; I like a crispy top, but this was lacking moisture.

I found myself thinking it wasn't much different from stuffing, and, I really wanted gravy or some kind of sauce to liven it up.  Still, I liked the flavors, particularly the brie and nuts, and the seasonings.

So I saved leftovers.
Leftover Bread Pudding, Day Three.
It actually was better the second day, the flavors developed more, and it gained moisture inside the fridge.  I tried a few bites cold, and, honestly, kinda liked it.

I could easily have finished it cold, it was good enough that way.  My plan was to actually warm it up in the toaster oven and add the gravy I wanted before.  But ... you know how it goes.  I just have the need to waffle.
Cooking ...
So into the waffle iron it went.  350° (my standard temp these days).  No effort required, I just put in a giant block, and mushed it down.  No crusting, no delicate prep, nothing.

After about 5 minutes, it looked fine, coming together nicely.

I let it go a bit longer as it wasn't getting crispy.  It extracted easily when I was ready, all in one chunk.
Waffled Apple, Caramelized Onion, and Brie Bread Pudding.
Granted, I let it go a bit too long, or maybe this was the top crust that was already burnt?

Still, it worked well.  It got crusty on the outside, moist on the inside.  And those bits of brie?  They turned into liquid pockets of awesomeness.

I certainly liked this more than the original, and probably would have liked it more if I had taken it out a bit sooner.  I think I did like the cold version the best though.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails