Thursday, October 27, 2022

Endangered Species Chocolate

Update Review, 2022

I've had pretty mixed feelings on Endangered Species chocolate bars, mostly not really caring for their chocolates (see previous reviews below).  But I got drawn back in again one more time, and tried another flavor ...
Vibrant Cherries + Dark Chocolate (72%).
"Vibrant cherries are surrounded by luscious dark chocolate in every sweet bite."

This bar sounded like a black forest cake, made into chocolate.  I couldn't wait to taste those vibrant cherries.

Spoiler: I didn't taste, well, any cherry?  Maybe a slight hint, but no more than what I might pick up in a chocolate or wine tasting, when I'm trying very hard to pick out things to say, "Oh, yes, it is very fruit forward ...".  So, vibrant cherries this bar does not have.  There was some tiny bits of chew, very few of them, that I guess were the cherry?

The chocolate itself was equally not that interesting.  It was deep dark chocolate, and seemed darker than 72% even.  It was a bit chalky and didn't have a great snap to it.  Fairly mediocre, although quite dark.

Overall, I was let down by this bar.  I wanted to taste the cherries, particularly given the claim that it would be so vibrant.  I also prefer a smoother, snappier chocolate.

**+.

And if you are wondering, this bar taught me all about the Atlantic Puffin.

Update Review, 2021

I didn't realize that I was already familiar with the Endangered Species chocolate bar line when I tried it this past year, having tried their "Bug Bites" product many times years ago, as they were stocked in my office.
"With more than 28 flavor varieties, a commitment to high quality ingredients, and a mission that promises a better future – our chocolate is more than a treat for your tastebuds."
It turns out, the same company makes regular size bars -18 varieties in fact, all except one are dark chocolates (at 55%, 60%, 73%, 88%).  They take pride in their sourcing, are fair trade certified, etc. The beans come from Cote D’Ivoire (the Ivory Coast), West Africa, and each bar is dedicated to the awareness of an individual endangered species, with literature inside the foil wrapper.

I've now tried a variety of their larger bars, and, in doing so, became educated about all sorts of endangered species.
Caramel Sea Salt + Dark Chocolate.
60% Cocoa.
"Our signature 60% dark chocolate wraps around soft organic caramel delicately laced with pink Himalayan sea salt for a craveable experience in each square."

This was a ... fine chocolate.   Smooth, snappy style dark chocolate (Hershey's Special Dark is how I always think of this style), filled with a salted caramel sauce inside.  The caramel was quite sweet, quite salty, and definitely took over the bar.

As I wanted to taste chocolate, and not salted caramel sauce, this wasn't quite for me, but, I give them credit for making a salted caramel that was *actually* salty! **+.

Update Review: When I re-set my expectations, for a lighter, sweeter bar, and when I *wanted* something that was more a gooey sweet dessert, I enjoyed it more.  I wouldn't seek the bar out, but, I did finish it off eventually. ***.

This bar was dedicated to the Bald Eagle, which ... to be honest, I didn't really pay attention to.
Almonds Sea Salt + Dark Chocolate.
72% Cocoa.
"Our 72% cocoa dark chocolate always takes the stage. But when mixed with flavorful flakes of natural Real Salt® and crunchy, roasted almond pieces, a new nutty flavor emerges that’s as complex as it is delicious."

This bar gets a big "meh" from me.  The chocolate was a darker style, fairly bitter, not snappy nor particularly smooth.

Inside was ... grit.  I know this was the flakes of salt and pieces of almond, but, it really was quite fine and small, and seemed more like grit.  It was not a very pleasing texture.  The roasted almond pieces seemed sweetened? 

The result was a strange texture, a fairly lackluster base bar, and a mix of biter and oddly sweet bits.  It certainly was not compelling to me. **.

This bar was dedicated to the plight of the Eurasian Eagle-Owl.
Strong & Velvety Dark Chocolate.
88% Cocoa.
"Deeply powerful with lingering hints of fruit and spice, this bar, made from pure 88% cocoa dark chocolate, manages to stay silky smooth while packing undeniably rich cocoa flavor. For the true dark chocolate lover."

Next was a real highlight for me.  A real, legit, dark chocolate.  I guess I am the target audience, a "true dark chocolate lover".

This bar was dark, it was not a sweeter style, and really let the chocolate shine.  Rich, cocoa-y, and very, very satisfying.  It stayed smooth, no grit.

I really enjoyed this bar, and would get again. ***+

With this bar, I could learn all about the jaguar.

Original Review, 2017

I used to do chocolate reviews every week.  I'm not sure why I stopped, because I certainly haven't stopped eating, or trying new, chocolate.

Endangered Species Chocolate is not really a regular chocolate manufacturer, as you may have guessed from their name.  Yes, they care about things like sustainability, good sourcing, fair trade, non-GMO, etc, but the company has taken a really amazing stance, and donated 10% of their profits to different partners helping support wildlife.

They make chocolate bars in a variety of flavors, in assorted sizes, mostly regular sized bars, but they also have several individually wrapped smaller products, "Bites" (individual wrapped squares sold in resealable bags of 12), "Squares" (also individually wrapped squares sold in packages, this time of 10 and not resealable), and "Bug Bites" (individually wrapped squares sold in boxes of 64, basic flavors only.  They also make flavored chocolate based spreads and barks.
"Our milk and dark chocolate bars and bites are made with ethically traded, shade grown cacao and natural ingredients. Learn about at-risk species by reading the inside of each 3oz. bar wrapper. And the best part? 10% of net profits from your purchase are donated to support conservation efforts!"
I tried two of the Bug Bites, and I was impressed by how smooth the chocolate was, some of the smoothest I've ever encountered.  And shockingly, I liked the milk chocolate far more than the dark.
Milk Chocolate.
"Milk chocolate elevated, thanks to a rich and creamy 48% cocoa content. This 64-count box contains individually-wrapped milk chocolate squares that are just right for snacking and sharing. And an added treat – each square contains a full-color info card spotlighting 15 at-risk insects! Created in collaboration with The Xerces Society, a leader in insect conservation and a past 10% GiveBack partner."

I don't normally like milk chocolate all that much, but this was truly good.  Super creamy, smooth, actually flavorful milk chocolate.  I enjoyed it more than any other milk chocolate in recent memory.
Dark Chocolate.
"Experience deep dark chocolate at its best with our 64-count box of Bug Bites. Each perfectly portioned rich dark chocolate square contain an added bonus – a full-color info card featuring 15 key, at-risk insects! Created in collaboration with The Xerces Society, a leader in insect conservation and a past 10% GiveBack partner."

I'm normally all about dark chocolate, but I did not like this.  It was smooth, and had a nice snap to it, but it was way too sweet, and the flavor wasn't complex.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails