Friday, February 05, 2021

Simply7 Snacks

Update Review 2020-2021

Since my original review back in 2016, Simply7, a healthy snack food company, has been quite successful it seems.  I understand why - as I reviewed back then, their products really are tasty.  Tasty, and actually healthy?  Who knew.

I previously on tried the quinoa chips (still good), but branched out to the others (even lentil chips, and I *hate* lentils!), given the success of the quinoa chips.  I'm glad I did.

Next I need to get my hands on some of their more interesting flavors (like the spicy ones! Or, um, definitely the popcorn ...).
Sea Salt Quinoa Chips.
"You might expect Sea Salt to be similar to the flavors of other basic salted snacks but it is so much more. The unique flavor of quinoa and the light dusting of sea salt makes for a snacking experience that will keep you reaching for more."

These were the only variety of Simply7 chips that I had previously tried, but I liked them before, and was pleased to have another bag.

I again liked them.  They are really simple, kinda light and airy, wonderfully crispy, and oh-so-salty.  I enjoy them plain, but even better dunked in liquid cheese sauce ...

***+.
Sea Salt Lentil Chips.
"Thrive on our Sea Salt Lentil Chips. A crunchy, tasty snack of wholesome lentils turned chips, topped with the perfect touch of sea salt."

Lentil chips.  Yeah right.

But ... these really aren't bad!  I know they don't sound like something I'd like (lentils, boo! chips, eh), but, they are good.  They remind me of a prawn cracker, just minus the fishiness.  And, at least in this flavor, with a *lot* of saltiness.  They are, um, salt forward to say the least.

Crispy, light, and *very* salty, but, enjoyable.

I used them dunked in Indonesian peanut sauce (part of a pecel salad, in lieu of prawn crackers), and they worked great that way.

***+.
Sea Salt Hummus Chips.
"Thrive on our Hummus Chickpea Chips. A crunchy, tasty snack of wholesome chickpeas turned chips, loaded with the savory flavor of bold, classic hummus with a hint of garlic. We make it simple so that you – and your whole body – feel good."

I also don't like hummus, heh.  But ...

I liked these too!  Really great crisp form factor.  I didn't taste any hummus, but that certainly wasn't a problem for me.

Maybe my least favorite of the 3 kinds, but I didn't dislike them.  Again light and airy.  Side note: these have been re-branded as chickpea chips, hummus flavor.

***.

Original Review 2016

I swear, I don't seek out snacks.  Snacks seek me out.  I really don't remember how I wound up with a bag of Simply7 snacks ... a flight perhaps?

Anyway, Simply7 is yet another company trying to make healthy snack foods.  They use only "clean' ingredients, no trans fat, gluten-free, no artificial colors or preservatives, yadda, yadda.  You know the drill.  Their products are all one of my favorite munchies though: chips!

Except, the chips are made with kale, quinoa, hummus, or lentils as the base, all available in a variety of flavors.  Since I love munching away on things, of course I tried them.

(And, in fact, I tried the hummus chips on a Virgin America flight a while ago, they were served as a starter in First Class instead of nuts ...)

Quinoa Chips

"Simply delicious, light, crunchy snacks with quinoa as the main ingredient."

Quinoa chips are available in simple sea salt, salt & vinegar, barbeque, cheddar, and sour cream and onion.  I tried the sea salt.
Sea Salt Quinoa Chips.
"You might expect Sea Salt to be similar to the flavors of other basic salted snacks but it is so much more. The unique flavor of quinoa and the light dusting of sea salt makes for a snacking experience that will keep you reaching for more."

Quinoa chips?  Yeah right, I don't really do healthy like this.  And, just a plain salted flavor?  Bo-ring.  Or, so I thought.

These were actually really good.  I loved how they were light and airy.  They were indeed salty, super salty, but in a great way.

And ... healthy?  The entire bag was only 140 calories and had some protein to boot.

I'd gladly much on these instead of regular potato chips any day, something I never expected to say!  Now, to find them somewhere, and try more flavors.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails