Monday, August 22, 2022

Dunkin' Donuts: The "Bakery".

Update Review: July 2022

Cornbread & Old Fashioned Munchkins. $0.75 each.
I know inflation is real, and *everything* is pretty expensive these days, but, I was blown away that a single Munchkin is now $0.75.  They used to be $0.25!  (Then again, gas was <$1 when I started driving ...).

Anyway, I was excited to try the new cornbread donut (summer 2022 special), but didn't want to commit to a full donut in case I didn't care for it, so, pricey Munchkin it was.  I also got an Old Fashioned, as I realized I had never had a Dunkin' Donuts Old Fashioned before!

Old Fashioned: 
I started with the old fashioned.  I was highly underwhelmed.  It was basically no different than a plain cake donut.  I think some of the essence of an old fashioned is really lost when translating into Munchkin form, as it loses the jaggy edges.  But also, it wasn't even a good cake donut - it just tasted like grease, like it was fried in old oil, and not well drained, if you know what I mean.  Maybe ok if you dunk it in coffee?  But, not one I wanted even a second bite of.  *.

Cornbread: 
"Unique sweet and savory corn-cake base."

Cornbread donuts/Munchkins were limited time summer 2022 items, and I was pretty excited for it.  I love cornbread, corn muffins, and the like, and it was easy to see how this could translate into a sweet donut form.  

It was good - it did indeed have some grit to it from the cornmeal, and it tasted like, well, cornbread?  The glaze worked well too, adding sweetness to make it more of a standalone item than just plain cornbread.  I do think they could have done better using a honey glaze (honey butter & cornbread are such an ideal pairing!), and I think it could be amped up by adding blueberries, but, this was still a successful item, and I'd consider trying the full size one.

I enjoyed it lightly warmed up, and served with ice cream and blueberries - a perfect bite! ***+.

Update Reviews: July - August 2020

Another year, another trip to the east coast, and a chance to try out more goodies from Dunkin' Donuts, which, at this point, I pretty much write off as a place of glory ... in my memories.  And yes, it really *has* changed, no longer making donuts fresh in each store, etc, etc.

But anyway.  I usually spend just a week or two in the summer, and the same at Christmas, visiting family and friends, in the land of Dunks.  But this year ... #covidhappened.  And I was there for 6 months.  6 ... months.  During which time I decided to give precious Dunks more and more changes.  I'm glad I did.  I actually found some surprise, real, legit hits from their, uh, "bakery".

Yeast

"Yeast Donuts are soft, tender with a slight fermented flavor and sweet to the taste. After the product has cooled, it is sponge-like and tender to the touch. Yeast Donuts make up our glazed rings, iced rings, filled shells and fancies (Coffee Rolls, Bismarks, Bow Ties) which is about 65% of our donut mix. It is a three-hour process from start to finish and worth every minute!"

The most commonly sold type of donut, and majority of the Dunkin' lineup, are yeast donuts.  These are the ones that I've always previously said just aren't fresh, taste stale, and taste strangely oily/fried.  You'd think I'd give up on this category by now, but, I was drawn in at least by trying a different filling.

Vanilla Creme. $1.29.
This was another fairly random pick from me, on a day where they did not have any of the donuts I intended to purchase.  Doh.  

But I remembered the wonderful creme filling from a special seasonal donut I had tried years before, the : Hershey's Cookies 'N' Creme Donut, with an addicting vanilla buttercream inside.  Or so I remembered.

So, I went random, and got this, as I knew it had a vanilla cream filling (NOT the Boston cream bavarian style filling).

The donut itself was as meh as any other Dunkin' Donut: kinda dry and stale, although the powdered sugar masked that a bit.  But still, not a good donut.

The cream filling was, well, sweet buttercream-ish.  Made from very "wholesome" ingredients: sugar, vegetable shortening, high fructose corn syrup.  It was good enough, very very sweet, better than much canned buttercream, but I wouldn't call it remarkable or worth going out of my way for.

As a donut, this just felt strange to me ... powdered sugar, seemed like it should be a jelly or custard filled thing, loaded with vanilla buttercream ... I dunno, it didn't quite work for me.  I'll give credit for generously stuffing the donut though.

**, for good-ish filling?

Cake

"The Cake Donut is a symmetrical, round donut that is golden brown in color, with a center hole that is about the size of a dime. Our Cake Donut has a crisp outer edge with a tender inside. However, cake donuts can vary in taste slightly depending on the flavor (Chocolate, Old Fashioned, Blueberry, Sour Cream). For example, the Old Fashioned Cake Donut has a mild vanilla flavor with a slight nutmeg finish. These donuts take about 12-15 minutes to create from start to finish."

Next up is the cake donuts, totally different style, which of course has its fans.  Dunks only offers a few of this style, and they are never my goto really, but wanting to give them a chance, I went for the Munchkin version at least.

(Seasonal) Pumpkin Munchkins. $0.25 each.
"Enjoy the flavors of fall with glazed pumpkin cake Munchkins."

I forgot that I had tried these before, and was tempted by the special fall seasonal special pumpkin Munchkins.  Just like the full size seasonal pumpkin donut, it is a pumpkin spiced cake base, glazed.

These were ... fine.  Classic cake donut.  Dense.  Sweeter style.  Abundant spicing, definitely pumpkin spice, but not crazy strong in any particular spice.  They didn't exactly taste pumpkin itself, although the ingredients do claim to have pumpkin powder in them.

These seemed less stale and less oily than many other Dunkin' Donuts I've tried, perhaps the cake style keeps better?

**+ for not being stale.

Other: Specialty Donuts

And finally, the "other" donuts, the specialty ones, the ones that cost more than the rest.  Here you'll find the big names, you know, cinnamon rolls and fritters (among others)!.

And it is here that the hits were.  I can't believe it took me so long to discover these.
Coffee Roll. $1.95.
On a recent visit to Dunkin' Donuts, I decided to try something totally different.  After all, if I hadn't ever really loved the donuts, why not try something else?  Plus, I had really been craving a cinnamon roll.  I spied the "coffee roll", which looked a lot like a cinnamon roll ... maybe?  Or maybe it was just a standard raised donut, in a coil, with standard glaze, not icing?  Did it have coffee? It was a "coffee roll" after all.  It came from the "Specialty" section of the "Other Bakery" part of the menu, and is listed out differently on the menu, which gave me some hope too.

I asked the cashier, "Is the coffee roll the same as a regular glazed donut? Like same base?" and she looked at me like I was crazy and was like, "I wouldn't know."  And that was that.  I also was slightly worried it had caffeine, which I didn't want since it was later in the day, so I asked if it had coffee in it.  She glared, and muttered, "No?"  I had zero faith in her answer, but, I still got it.  I hoped it had cinnamon, and I hoped it was a bit different from their standard donut base.

I took a bite of my treat immediately.  Well, it sure tasted like a standard raised, glazed donut from Dunks.  The glaze was slightly crusty in a not-fresh way, it was sweet, and it was well coated.  Lots of glaze, lots of sweet.  Which, after all, is what I was going for.

The dough was lofty, airy, yeasted donut, that, like the glaze, had a kinda "not fresh" taste to it, but it wasn't stale.  It was better than my recent memory of any of their donuts to be honest, although quite plain.  

If that is all there was to it, just the same donut in a different shape, I'd still call this better than their basic donuts, as the rolled nature gave it some interesting contrasts, fluffy bits and more crisp bits.  And of course, it was considerably bigger than the regular donuts too.

But between the rolls there *was* cinnamon.  Not much, and not a cinnamon sugar and butter mix like you find an actual cinnamon roll, but, there was some cinnamon.  I liked the touch it added.
Overall, though, I was pleased enough.  I enjoyed some of it right away, but mostly waited until I got home, knowing it would be even better warmed up, a la mode.  The $1.95 price is higher than regular donuts, but, it is bigger, and I guess more work to make, so, it makes sense.  

I'd get this again, actually, if craving something like it, but, it certainly isn't a real cinnamon roll - no icing, no cinnamon-sugar-butter elements, and no sour cream, cream cheese, or anything like that.
Coffee Roll Ingredients: Enriched Wheat Flour (Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Palm Oil, Yeast Donut Concentrate [Soy Flour, Pregelatinized Wheat Starch, Salt, Whey (Milk), Baking Soda, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Nonfat Milk, Gum Blend (Cellulose, Guar, Acacia, Carrageenan, Xanthan), Sodium Caseinate (Milk), Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Eggs, Soybean Oil, Annatto (Color), Natural and Artificial Flavor, Soy Lecithin, Turmeric (Color)], Dextrose, Soybean Oil, Cinnamon, Yeast, Mono and Diglycerides; Glaze: Sugar, Water, Maltodextrin, Contains 2% or less of: Propylene Glycol, Mono and Diglycerides (Emulsifier), Cellulose Gum, Agar, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Vanillin (an Artificial Flavor).
When I got home, I looked up the ingredients, and compared side by side to the glazed donut.  My suspicions were confirmed: yes, the ingredients were *identical*, except this one had one extra ingredient: cinnamon.

The ingredients also explained why it wasn't exactly wholesome tasting.  Um, yeah.  It is a mass produced donut after all, so I wasn't expecting something different, but it did make me laugh a bit.

Update Review: I had another, and ... I really liked it.  Like, *really* liked it.  But not when "fresh" and room temperature.

I liked it once I brought it home and warmed it up.  I wrapped in foil, with a touch of water added, and threw in my convection toaster oven at 400* for a few minutes.  The water steamed it slightly, it was soft and doughy, the cinnamon seemed even more pronounced this time, and the glaze got warm and melty.

I was kinda embarrassed by how quickly I scarfed it down, and by how much I liked it.  Trust me, heat these up and they transform!

****.  Hidden gem.
Apple Fritter. $1.95.
Ok, so, the apple fritter.  Or as I generally refer to it: the "king" of donuts.  I had never had one from Dunkin' before, but, a fritter is often my absolute favorite donut, even at a lower end donut shop (side note: best fritter? I think the one from Donut Savant may be my top, but Johnny Doughnuts definitely gets an honorable mention).

An apple fritter follows the same formula at donut shops nationwide.  Or at least, normally.  I thought I knew what I was getting: standard yeasted donut that is mixed with bits of cooked spiced apple chunks with cinnamon between the chunks, fried, glazed.   Bigger than regular donuts.  No hole.  Usually a crispy exterior.  But not at Dunkin' Donuts (and, it turns out, they make two totally different styles of apple fritter, it just depends on which kind of location you visit, one that finishes donuts on site, one that bakes them on site, or one that gets them fully finished).  But more on this all soon.

It looked like any standard apple fritter.  Yup, bigger than all the other donuts, yup, glazed, yup more fried.

The dough is the basic Dunkin' Recipe: "enriched wheat flour", oil, water, and "yeast donut concentrate".  Much like the Coffee Roll it also has cinnamon added, and of course, the glaze.

I ripped off the edge.  It tasted like ... well, a Dunkin' Donuts donut ... kinda stale, kinda bad oil, and just not very good.  Sure it was nicely raised and fluffy.  Basically like nearly every other yeasted donut I have ever had from Dunks (still not sure why the Coffee Roll was the exception!).  Yes, there was some cinnamon between the folds, and that added some flavor, and yes there was glaze, although it wasn't nearly as thick or crusty as I'd like.  I like my fritters as decadent as can be.

I did not find any chunks of apple, as much as I looked, but I could taste apple, which was quite confusing.

Undeterred, I brought it home.  I know many donuts transform magically when you heat them up (and add ice cream on top!).  Sadly, this did not help our fritter friend.  Still tasted old and stale and like bad oil.

But when I cut off another chunk, I found a surprise.
Apple Fritter: Filled?!
Yeah, in the center of the donut was ... apple filling.  Like, it was stuffed with apple pie filling.

I have had many, many apple fritters in my life, but I have never found one that had a filling like this.  (Side note: it turns out, that any Dunkin' Donuts location that finishes the donuts on-site fills them like this.  But if you visit a location that gets them pre-made, they are the traditional style.  Who knew?!).

Anyway, the filling.  It tasted like applesauce.  I don't care for applesauce.  It did have little chunks of apple, and they were soft but not mushy, but the taste was very, very applesauce.  And I like "canned pie filling goo", but this was not that.  It was just, well, applesauce-y.  Looking at the ingredients, I think it was likely the use of evaporated apples that causes this?  I'm not sure.  Anyway, even though I like fake apple pie filling sometimes, this I certainly did not care for.  It was also very spiced.

So, a stale bad-oil tasting donut, filled with a filling a dislike, and not enough glaze?  Yeah, no saving this one.  Warming it did not help, a la mode did not help.  I will not be getting another.

Oh, one final note, the ingredients actually list out two different "apple filling" ingredients, one of which has corn syrup and sugar and nutmeg, and one doesn't, so I believe the former is used for chunked mixed in with the dough, the later is the applesauce style filling.

Oh, and in case you are wondering, it clocks in much higher than the regular donuts, although that makes sense since it is so much larger, 510 calories (double the basic donuts), and nearly 3x the fat and 2x the sugar than even heavily frosted items, for this very lackluster item.

**, really nothing to highlight here.

French Cruller

But Dunkin' also does have one donut, one item only, that falls outside all other categories.
"A French Cruller has a soft, airy texture with a pleasant light “egg-like” flavor. The center of the French Cruller is wet with a crunchy exterior. The shape of a proper French Cruller should resemble a golden brown pinwheel. It is customarily glazed prior to being enjoyed, which adds a slight sweetness to this deliciousness. This process takes about 12-15 minutes to make from beginning to end."

Yes, Dunkin' offers up the French Cruller, which surprises me, just because it uses a completely different dough base, and no others utilize it. 

French Cruller. $1.35.
I finally tried it.

I was reasonably impressed.  

It really did have proper shape, and was lofty.  Inside was airy, as it should be, yet eggy and moist, also as it should be.  Not quite as light as it really should be though.  Honestly, they do a decent job with this.  Moist, eggy, yup, that's a cruller.

It was also very heavily glazed, quite sweet.  I've had french crullers many other places, and they are usually lightly glazed, but this one really did suffer a bit from being too sweet - one thing I appreciate about French Crullers is that they can be a lighter option.

***, far better than most of the donuts, but I don't necessarily want another.

Update Review, July 2019

Uh ... in my adult years, I've literally never liked a donut from Dunkin' (as you know from my past reviews).  Until now.
Specialty Donut: Hershey's Cookies 'N' Creme Donut. (July 2019 Special). $1.75.
"Real Hershey's Cookies 'N' Creme crumbles on top of a chocolate frosted square donut filled with vanilla flavored butterream."

Dunkin' Donuts always has two classes of donuts, "Classic" and "Specialty", the later of which cost more ($1.75 as opposed to $1.45, at the location I visited).  These are generally more elaborately topped, and offered for a short time, like this, the Hershey's Cookies 'N' Creme donut.

This was a special collaboration with Hersey's, where Dunkin' Donuts introduced a slew of candy inspired beverages, and, one donut, topped with bits of Hershey's Cookies 'N' Creme bar.  The square shape was also fairly unique.

I'll cut right to the chase.  This thing is delicious.  If you like sweet of course.  But if you do, um, yeah, get this.

The donut itself is fairly standard, generic Dunkin' Donuts, but, it actually tasted fresher than normal, wasn't greasy or anything, and, well, fried dough is fried dough. 

The chocolate on top was likely the same as the Boston Cream donut, but it was a thick layer, fudgy, and went great with the candy pieces on top (and with the donut, of course).  The chunks of candy bar were small, but the size worked well, little bits of texture, plenty of sweetness, and complimentary flavors.

So, good base donut, good chocolate frosting, great toppings.  And then, inside ...
Vanilla Buttercream Filling.
People sometimes criticize Dunkin' Donuts for not generously filling their donuts, but, mine was very, very generously filled.  I think the square shape helped.

The filling was ... well, yup, vanilla buttercream.  So very very sweet.  Basically, the sweetest frosting I could imagine, and the same consistency of the kind you get in a can.  Fluffy.

It was complete sugar overload, really, this donut was ... not a donut, so not breakfast appropriate in any way, as it was basically a fried dough with the sweetest frosting ever, plus all the chocolate, but, um, it was good in that way.  But, yes, so very very sweet.

There was nothing wholesome about this, no way to pretend it wasn't awful for me, but, it had its place.  I will admit tat I really enjoyed it.

450 calories (33 grams sugar) though is a bit much for, um, a donut?  I'm glad it is short time offering, since I don't need to decide NOT to get another ... as I'm not sure I'd be capable.

Original Reviews, 2014-2016

I grew up on the East Coast, in the part of America that actually "Runs on Dunkin'".  I've consumed my fair share of Dunkin' Donuts coffee (generally iced) and sweet treats (generally Coolattas).  I've reviewed all that stuff before, as well as talked about my nostalgia for Dunks.

Strangely, even though I'm obviously totally a sweets girl, when I think of Dunkin' Donuts, I don't think of the donuts.  Sure, I attended plenty of birthday parties when I was growing up that featured a box of Munchkins, and I had my cheap days in college where I used to order just one Munchkin before they could figure out how to charge for it, but, I was never into the donuts.  And now ... Dunkin' Donuts doesn't just make donuts, they have a huge variety of items from the "Bakery".

Just like the coffee though, standards have changed.  The baked good are no longer baked fresh at every store every morning like they used to be.  I still haven't ventured out to try many of the newer baked goods (bagels, danishes, croissants, even cookies), nor any of the sandwiches (the breakfast sandwiches sorta make sense, but I still can't wrap my head around Dunkin' Donuts selling things like chicken salad sandwiches!)

Anyway, I digress.  Onto the baked goods reviews we go! Spoiler: Um, these are not the things my memories are made of.

Donuts

So obviously, the signature item at Dunkin' Donuts is, well, the donuts.  They are available in a slew of varieties, raised or cake, and generally topped or filled with stuff.  They carry all the classic flavors you'd expect, and are constantly introducing seasonal specials.  Over the years, I've tried a bunch, but still haven't ever found one that I'd actually like to get another of.
Boston Cream Donut w/ Sprinkles. $1.09.
I'm  over donuts from Dunkin' Donuts, but the same does not apply to Ojan.  Whenever we visit the east coast, he must visit, at least once, for a donut.

On one recent trip, we failed to visit Dunkin' Donuts during the trip, so we had to stop at the Boston Logan airport to pick one up before we left.  Prices were higher there, $1.09 for a single donut, which seems crazy for a Dunkin' Donut, but, Ojan needed his fix.

I asked what kind he wanted, and he looked at me like I was crazy.  There is one, and only one, kind of donut one gets at Dunks: the Boston Cream.

While I could care less about their donuts, I still couldn't resist trying a bite, could I?  Of course not.

It was ... exactly what I expected.  A raised donut, not really awesome, but fluffy enough, kinda stale tasting.  Covered in tons of mediocre chocolate glaze, slightly crusty.  And sprinkles for some reason, not generally part of the standard offering.

I took the first bite, and got no cream, so I had to keep going.  I took a second bite, and a third.  Still no cream.  Isn't the creme filling what this donut is all about?  Ojan glared at me, knowing I don't even like these donuts, yet I was eating his whole donut.

I handed it over, never able to get to the cream.  He then grumbled about how there was no cream inside, although he eventually found a little.  He wasn't pleased with the cream to donut ratio.  He even threw out most of the donut once the cream had been depleted.

Worth the $1.09?  Nah.  But Ojan got his moment ... sorta.

[ Update, 2016: Ojan, as always when visiting the Boston area, got a few Boston Cream donuts.  Eventually, I tried another bite.  It was exactly as I remembered.  The donut was kinda oily and stale tasting.  The cream and chocolate were ok, but, you can't fix a donut that begins with a low quality base.  ]

Blueberry Cobbler Donut.  $0.95. June 2015 Special.
"Yeast shell donut with blueberry filling, finished with white icing and coffee cake streusel topping".

This was available for a limited time only, a seasonal special, and it sounded pretty enticing.

The crumble on top was cinnamon streusel, which was good with black coffee, just like coffee cake.  It had a nice cinnamon flavor, but it was a bit soggy, not crispy like you'd expect.

The icing was very sweet, and flavorless, and there was way too much of it on top.

The donut itself was just a basic fried donut.  The blueberry jelly filling was basically ... slime.  It really made me want a classic jelly donut instead.

I almost threw it out.  But then, it totally grew on me.  There is something about the classic Dunkin' Donuts fried dough that I just can't resist, at least when it isn't totally stale tasting.  I wouldn't get this again, since I didn't like the blueberry filling and thought the icing was too heavy, but in the end, I enjoyed it.

Sugar Jelly Donut. $0.99.
On one visit, I had a coupon for 2 donuts for $0.99.  A single donut usually costs $0.99.  So, even though I didn't want a donut, Ojan of course wanted a Boston cream, so, I got one too, because, well, it was free.  How do you resist freebies?

I opted for a jelly donut.  I'm not sure I've ever had a full size Dunkin' Donuts jelly donut, although I've had the Munchkin.  I was just really craving the amazing jelly donut I had a few days prior from Ohlin's Bakery 

It was ... slightly better than expected?

The outside had a small dusting of sugar, standard, small crystals.  It was slightly crispy on the outside, in a somewhat stale sort of way.  Light, fluffy, raised dough, a bit sweet, not particularly remarkable, and again, slightly stale tasting, slightly too fried tasting.  I'm really selling this, right?
Sugar Jelly: Inside.
Inside was the part I was most eager for: the jelly!

It was very generic red goo, with no distinct berries, no real indication of which fruit when into the making of the jelly.  It completed the donut in the way that the jelly should, but, really it was unremarkable.

So, overall, yup, a Dunkin' Donut, no more, no less.  I don't need or want another, but, at least I tried it again?

[ Update, 2016: But of course I got another.  I mean, jelly donut!  It was crazy stale.  I should have known better when there was only one remaining on the shelf that they weren't fresh.  But somehow the jelly jumped out, even though everything else looked fresher.  It was really hard on the outside. In some ways, it wasn't awful, but it was clearly dried out and stale.  The filling, again, just goo.  Really sweet goo.  The generous sweet goo inside, and the sugar coating on the outside, combined to be just too much sweet for me.  Sweet on sweet on sweet.  Meh. ]
Reese’s® Peanut Butter Square.  $1.49. September 2015 Special.
"Chocolate frosting and Reese’s® Peanut Butter buttercreme, is there anything better?"

On a trip to Los Angeles, the one part of California where they have Dunkin' Donuts, Ojan wanted a donut.  But we were stuffed from our excellent lunch at Father's Office, so he wanted to split one with me.  He asked what I'd want.  I'm not really a fan of their donuts, but, given the lineup, one was the clear frontrunner: the new Reese’s® Peanut Butter Square.  I love peanut butter and chocolate.  He wanted his Boston Cream, but was willing to try this one.

It was ... ok.  Like all their donuts, I just don't like the donut itself.  Kinda stale, kinda oily, not very good.  The chocolate on top was good enough.  The peanut butter filling was pretty good though, creamy, nice peanut flavor.  Hard to really go wrong with chocolate and peanut butter.

Ojan took one bite, and didn't like it.  He just wanted his Boston Cream.  He immediately said it was all mine.  And I didn't like the donut dough itself.  So ... I ripped it open, and just sucked all the tasty peanut butter cream out.

I wouldn't get this again, obviously.  At $1.49, it was also priced higher than all other donuts.
Assorted Donuts.
I attended a holiday party where my sister works.  The sweets table was a bit amusing.  Half of it was homemade goods, such as my mom's pumpkin pie, the owner's famous gingerbread cookies, fantastic peanut butter fudge made by the mailman, sticky, decadent baklava from a client, all clearly made with love and care.  The other half was store bought goodies, generally from the basic grocery store or Trader Joes.  And, a box of Dunkin' Donuts.  Hey, at least people contributed?

I was clearly far more into the home baked goods, but, I could resist a try of a donut.  Or two.

Strawberry Frosted Sprinkle Donut:
Yes, I was the person who cut out a wedge from the pink frosted with sprinkles.  It was the same as all the other donuts I've tried: raised, stale, oily dough.  Not very good.  The icing didn't really have much flavor, but I'm pretty sure it supposed to be strawberry.  Either that, or this was vanilla frosted, and was just pinkish for the holidays, as it had red and green sprinkles too.  Anyway, it was not very good.

Maple Frosted Donut:
So I tried the maple frosted, thinking the maple glaze would be better.  The donut was just as bad, the icing just sweet.

Chocolate Frosted Cake Donut:
Ok, third time's the charm, right?  I went for something else entirely, the chocolate cake donut, glazed.  I figured that if I didn't like the raised donuts, perhaps I just wanted a cake one?  It was no better, not rich chocolate flavor, and just as stale tasting.  I went back to just get more baklava :)

Munchkins

If you have never been to a child's party where Dunkin' Donuts is, perhaps you don't know what Munchins are.  You just know them as donut holes.  These are a strong memory of mine, always purchased by the box, and always pulled out by the mothers who weren't like mine, and baked everything from scratch for their kid's parties.

I'm a little heartbroken.  I took careful notes on all of the different munchkins I tried, but I have absolutely no idea what happened to them.  I don't have the detailed notes anymore, but I do remember that they all tasted fairly stale, just like oil, and weren't very good.

They've also finally figured out how to charge for just one munchkin.  Back in the day, I'd order my coffee and a single munchkin.  Since munchkins are normally sold in giant boxes, they never knew how to ring it up, and generally didn't care enough to figure it out, so I'd get my munchkin for free.  When I was in college and grad school, I thought I was so clever, and this was a big deal!  Now, they know how to charge me the 25 cents.
Jelly Munchkin. $0.25.
The jelly munchkin had a disappointingly small amount of jelly inside.  This was very sad, because I really used to love these things.  Didn't I?

Pumpkin Munchkin.  $0.25.
I'm really not sure why I ordered this.  I know I don't really care about the donuts at Dunkin' Donuts.  I'm there for the coffee drinks.  But, I saw that they had pumpkin and blueberry munchkins, instead of just the regular glazed, chocolate glazed, and jelly filled offerings, and I couldn't resist the urge to try something new.  Damn seasonal specials tempting me unexpectedly!

It was ... a basic Dunkin' Donuts munchkin.  Not very fresh tasting.  Lots of sweet glaze on the outside.  But, it was decently "pumpkin" spiced I guess.  And it was orange inside, even though I didn't taste pumpkin.  Maybe worth the 25 cents :)

Specialty

And then ... Dunkin' Donuts joined the cronut craze.  Yes, yes, they went there.

Croissant Donut.
"Flaky layers of croissant glazed like a donut."

The famed croissant donut.  I actually wasn't even planning to get one of these, as I didn't think it would possibly be good.  But when I was visiting my family, my mom showed up with one.  I obviously had to try it.

It was exactly what I expected.  It tasted oily.  Stale.  Meh.

The layers were lighter and fluffier than a standard Dunkin' Donuts donut.  But, not flaky and buttery like a croissant.  And no crispy exterior like it should have.  Sorry Dunkin' Donuts, you can't recreate an item like the cronut in a mass produced way like this ...

Muffins

The one bakery item, besides donuts, that Dunkin' Donuts had when I was growing up was muffins.  I actually used to love these.  When I drove to and from college, there was a Dunkin' Donuts right at the halfway point, and I'd always stop to get a muffin.  I loved the corn muffins and banana nut most of all.  I've opted not to try them again, as I don't want to ruin the memory.  But maybe they still are good?


[ No Photo ]
Blueberry Muffin

One time when I was with my sister, we stopped at Dunkin' Donuts for a little sister date.  (I know, aren't we cute?)  She opted for a muffin, blueberry.  She begrudgingly shared a bite with me.

The muffin had large sugar crystals on top, and it was a bit crispy on top like I like.  The inside was moist and loaded with berries.  Overall decent flavor.  I only had a bite of my sister's muffin, but I was impressed.

7 comments:

  1. Can we Order donuts to georgia? Im in love with the maple filled one ,not available around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our Birthday Cake cookie dough with white chocolate chips and cake batter custard. Please note, our minimum order for delivery is 4 cookies.
    Source Link : https://thecookiedoughco.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this article, It almost covers all the aspects, please visit: Printed Bakery Boxes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have long said that Columbus could be called Donuts near me City USA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this article, It almost covers all the aspects,

    ReplyDelete

  6. The Donut Mart Albuquerque is a popular choice known for its variety of donuts and friendly service.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails