Sunday, August 31, 2014

Jer's Squares

Jer's Chocolates makes chocolates, all based around my favorite ingredient to pair with chocolate: peanut butter!  They come in a variety of forms, including standard bars, but also balls and squares.  The squares are the only products I've tried.

They are basically takes on fancy peanut butter cups: peanut butter blended with other mix-ins and enrobed in chocolate, either milk or dark.  The combinations sound quite amazing (caramel! pretzels! toffee!), and while the chocolates weren't bad, I always felt that they sounded better than they actually were.  I wanted these to be better, because, peanut butter and chocolate are such a winning combination!
Original.
I had an assortment of Jer's Squares to try out, so I decided to start with the Original, "all natural Valencia peanut butter mixed with crunchy rice crisp covered in premium milk chocolate."

Mmm, peanut butter and chocolate, with crunchy bits?  Sounded fantastic.

I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of peanut butter inside.  I expected it to primarily be a chocolate confection, with a thin layer of  peanut butter, but instead, it was the other way around.  The peanut butter was creamy, and I loved the additional bit of crunch from the rice crisps, but the peanut butter flavor wasn't quite as intense as I would have liked.  The milk chocolate was unremarkable.

Overall, enjoyable, more fun than a peanut butter cup due to the addition of the crispies, but not as compelling as the description sounded.
Cara Mella.
Next up, the Cara Mella: "creamy caramel and all natural Valencia peanut butter covered in premium dark chocolate."

This time, the peanut butter was not creamy at all.  It was almost more like a dense nougat.  The caramel was also not creamy.  The dark chocolate was harsh.

I have no idea what went wrong here, peanut butter, caramel, and dark chocolate should be awesome, but the textures in particular just didn't work for me.
Toffee Break.

"Buttery rich toffee bits mixed with all natural Valencia peanut butter covered in premium dark chocolate. "

Again, I didn't love the dark chocolate.  It wasn't a complex, rich dark chocolate.  The peanut butter inside was gritty, which I guess was the toffee bits.  The toffee didn't seem to add any sweetness, nor butteryness, and only gave the strange texture to the peanut butter.

I wouldn't try this one again.
Pretzo Change-O.
Finally, I had the one I was most looking forward to: Pretzo Change-O, described as "sweet and salty pretzel bits mixed with all natural Valencia peanut butter covered in milk chocolate."

The milk chocolate was smooth, mild, and creamy.  Inside, I somehow expected a full layer of pretzel, but I'm not sure why, since the description did say "pretzel bits", and said the pretzel was mixed with the pb.  The peanut butter was crunchy, not smooth and creamy, but I liked that.  There were little tiny pretzel bits, but they just added to the texture slightly, I didn't really get much crunch, nor the expected salt, from them.

Overall though, still far tastier than any regular peanut butter cup, I would have just liked to see the pretzel represented a little better.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails