Monday, March 03, 2014

Caramel Corn, Munchery by Chef Allison Tom

I'm a bit obsessed with caramel corn.  It is my late night snack.  Sweet, salty, crunchy ... my favorite thing to just mindlessly devour while sitting on the couch in the evening.  I mostly make my own, as I haven't found any store bought versions to really be to my liking.  I rarely keep my mix as just caramel corn, somehow nuts and other goodies always find their way in too.  Mmmmm.

Anyway, I'd been eying the caramel corn offered on Munchery by Chef Allison Tom for quite a while.  Just like the muffins, I've wanted to order it, but felt a bit silly making an order just for the caramel corn.  So I waited and waited until I was ready to make a "real" order, and then added the caramel corn on.

Since I've reviewed Munchery many times before, I'll skip the general service review and focus just on my caramel corn.  But if you are interested in Munchery, use my invite link, you'll even get $20 off your first order.  You could have caramel corn delivered to you tonight, for free!

The caramel corn is Chef Allison Tom's only offering on Munchery, as she isn't a chef by training, but rather spent her career as a television journalist.  Somehow she found her new calling, following a special family recipe for caramel corn.  It is available pretty much every day on Munchery, and gets rave reviews.
Gourmet Caramel Popcorn.  $4.95.
"Made of pure and simple ingredients, this caramel popcorn is a favorite family recipe that I am excited to share. Each addictive bite offers a buttery smooth taste with a unique crunch. A perfect blend of lightly sweet with a hint of salt."

Well, this was a disappointment.  It didn't seem particularly fresh, even though well sealed.  It wasn't crispy.  Each kernel of popcorn was well coated in caramel, but didn't really have much flavor, no buttery nor rich undertones to it, it was just sweet.  There were also no clumps, something I always like in my caramel corn.

I decided to try freezing it in order to make it crispier, and that worked.  This is a trick I use with my own snack mixes all the time, not only to keep them fresh, but I like the additional crispy factor.  It was still a bit too one-dimensional to me though, so I probably wouldn't get it again, and I'll go back to making my own.

The portion size was fine, a small bag of caramel corn, good for a sitting (or perhaps two), but for $4.95 it really wasn't worth the price.  I normally am impressed with Munchery's reasonable pricing, but this was the first exception I've found.

Update: I've since ordered this every single time I've ordered from Munchery and it is also available.  I'm totally addicted to it, but, I do always freeze it now.  The popcorn is perfectly coated, it is super sweet, and I love the extra crunch the fridge adds to it.  Perfect late night snack to pull out of the freezer.  Or perfect with a morning coffee.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails