Monday, January 27, 2014

McDonald's Seasonal McFlurries

You may recall that a while back that I ventured a land familiar to most Americans, but not one I'd stepped inside of for many years.  Oh, yes, I went to McCafĂ©, or, ok, McDonald's.

I didn't have the food, but I had pretty much all of the drinks, ranging from classic coffee, cappuccinos, and hot chocolate, to sweeter things like caramel mochas (hot or iced), to full on dessert drinks, like frappĂ©s and shakes.  I can't say I loved any of them.

But McDonald's has always had decent desserts, particularly the ice cream creations.  And I usually eat ice cream every day, at my office, and found myself with a serious ice cream craving going on when I was visiting my family in New Hampshire, and had gone a whole two days without ice cream.  So when I saw a seasonal special for the Pralines & Cream McFlurry, I couldn't resist checking it out, mostly for curiosity purposes.
Pralines & Cream McFlurry, Snack Size.
"Silky reduced fat soft serve vanilla ice cream mixed with candied praline pieces and swirled with our hot caramel topping."

I don't know the last time I had a McFlurry.  I'm pretty sure I was in high school.  But I did have an McDonald's hot fudge sundae last summer when I was traveling.  The ice cream wasn't horrible.  And something about this seasonal offering just jumped out at me.  I love caramel.  I love pecans, particularly candied ones.  So I tried it.

I was a little blown away at first.  It was crazy sweet.  I needed some water or something to cleanse my palette after the first bite.  But I continued on, determined to understand it better.

It was really well mixed.  They have this technology down.  And I love the ice cream + sauce + crunchy bits concept.

The ice cream was the same as in the sundae, just plain vanilla ice cream, pretty creamy.  But it was very, very soft and melted, even though I received it immediately after it was made.

I didn't know the caramel was supposed to be "hot".  It surely wasn't when I got it, but I think it was when it was applied to the cold ice cream.  As my ice cream was very, very melty.  The caramel was super super sweet, but, it was caramel, and I like caramel.  There was a generous amount of it.  Too much of it actually.

The candied praline pieces however were not successful.  I loved the crunch they added.  And as I said, I really like pecans.  But I honestly would have believed you if you told me there were no pecans in these "praline pieces".  They were just sweet.  But not in a good way.  I couldn't stand them.

Overall, the concepts behind this were all solid, but I wouldn't get another.  I would however consider getting another McFlurry at some point ...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails