Thursday, April 11, 2013

Luxemburgerli from Confiserie Sprüngli

The Luxemburgerli from Confiserie Sprüngli in Zürich are perhaps the most famous macarons in the world.  They are tiny little things, according to Wikipedia, "the Luxemburgerli is lighter than a macaron and is about 1 inch (2.5 cm) in diameter."  The company has been making them since 1836.

Some business visitors came from Zürich recently, and of course, you know what they brought.  Maybe it was because they weren't super fresh (only a day old though), but I wasn't impressed.  The macarons from Sugarie are still my favorites.
Assorted Luxemburgerli.
Clockwise, from top left:
  • Champagne Gold: This was super boozy tasting!  No doubt what flavor it was.  Brushed on top with gold coating.  It went really well with tea.  My second favorite.
  • Caramel Fleur de Sel:  Thick caramel filling, little bit of salt on top.  I wanted to like this one more than I did.  The filling was just too thick and strange feeling, but obviously it couldn't be runny or it would run all over the place.  I think a caramel flavored cream might be more successful, or perhaps a cream and then thin caramel filling like some of the jelly filled ones.
  • Pistacchio.  The cream even had bits of pistacchio in it.  I'm not a huge fan of pistacchio flavor though, so I didn't care for this one.
  • Deluxe Cassis: "Extra-fruity cassis centre, embedded in a delicate champagne/cassis crème, enrobed in finest grand cru chocolate."  This was certainly the most unique macaron I've ever seen.  It looked a bit like a mushroom, with the chocolate coating only on the bottom.  There was only one cookie, on top.  Under that was intensely fruity cream (champagne and cassis), then a layer of cassis jelly, then another layer of the cream.  So the bottom half was only cream/jam dipped in chocolate.  It was intensely fruit flavored due to the jelly-like filling.  The dark chocolate was quality.
  • Raspberry: The filling contained both a jam and a cream.  I loved the flavor of the jam, and the mix of cream and jam was far more interesting than just a cream.  My favorite! 
  • ?.  I have no idea what flavor this was.  The inside filling was a creamy chocolate ganache, but I'm still uncertain as to what the cookie was.  The filling was more fudgy than cream based.
  • Chocolate.  I think this had the same filling as the previous one, again, a fudgy chocolate filling rather than cream based.  I thought I detected coconut, but that might have been my imagination.
  • Hazelnut.  Like the other nut based one, the cream filling had little bits of hazelnut in it.  Strong hazelnut flavor.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails