Friday, March 22, 2013

Kaia Foods

As you may have noticed, I've been trying out a lot of snacks, and in particular, granolas, lately.  I really do like granola, but I've had a really hard time finding one to stick with.

Kaia Foods is a local health food producer from Oakland.  I was drawn to their products because they had a raw sprouted buckwheat granola, which sounded different, and I've really liked buckwheat granolas in the past.  Unfortunately, I did not like this granola.  I also tried some of their spiced nuts, but didn't like them either.

I don't think I necessarily dislike raw items, but these really did not do it for me.
Date & Spice Sprouted Buckwheat Granola. 
"An indulgent blend of fiber-laden dates and cozy spices."  Contains the namesake sprouted buckwheat and dates, along with flax seeds, sprouted sunflower seeds, sprouted pumpkin seeds, sprouted walnuts,  and dried coconut.  Agave sweetened of course.

I didn't like this.  I like buckwheat, and I like granola, but this really didn't do it for me at all.  I did like the form factor, nice big clusters, and crunchy, but it just didn't taste good.  It was fairly bitter.  The chunks of date were also very hard.  I hate raisins in granola for this reason, and they were larger, and so even worse to chew on.  Emil tried some of this, and actually thought he'd bitten into a rock.

I initially just tried it by the handful to munch on, but then also tried it in milk, to soften it a bit and perhaps disperse the flavors.  Again, I found it too bitter and just not good.

Would not get again.
Sprouted Pumpkin Seeds: Party Mix.
These pumpkin seeds are dehydrated, rather than roasted, because Kaia Foods is all about raw foods.  I wasn't sure what to expect from the "party mix" seasonings, and I'm still not really sure what the seasoning was.  It wasn't a party for me.  Everything was just biter and not very good.

Would not get again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails