Friday, April 29, 2022

Kettle Chips

I've had a thing for salty, crispy snacks lately, so I've been trying out all sorts of chips.  It is pretty random, as I honestly think I hadn't had a bag of chips for about 10 years, and suddenly I crave them all the time.

Kettle brand chips show up as the "premium" chips at most delis and casual places around town, so I've tried a bunch of their flavors.  I don't really care for their standard chips, but the Krinkle Cuts and the Baked ones are pretty decent. 

Krinkle Cut™

"We slice our Krinkle Cut™ chips nice and thick, so you get a satisfying crunch in every bite. It’s the perfect chip for dipping, but you don’t need to with all the bold, all-natural flavor nestled into those rich, golden ridges."
I really like the krinkle cut chips.  They are so crunchy and satisfying, my favorite of Kettle brand products.
Buffalo Bleu.
 "From the first, bold crunch, you’re hit with a tangy assault of chili spice. But…wait for it…a hint of bleu cheese comes around the corner and pulls it all together in a supremely craveable, insanely crunchable mouthful of goodness."

These didn’t really seem like buffalo flavor (not spicy as described), nor did they seem blue cheese flavored.

But, I did like them.  They had a sweetness to them, and reminded me of bbq chips.  The crickle cut allowed for maximum coating in the chips.

***+.
Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper.
 "There is a reason they make salt and pepper shakers in matching sets—they go together like no two other spices in the world. We’ve taken that collaboration of flavor goodness to new heights (and depths) by lightly sprinkling them on the rolling ridges of our Krinkle Cut chips." 

I thought that I'd dislike this flavor, since I've had pepper chips before and really disliked them, but these were not bad.  Not my favorite flavor, but, decent.  The pepper flavor was there for sure, but somehow it wasn't strange.  Salt level was also good.

***.
Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper (2022).
"This iconic duo has never been so extra. That’s because every Krinkle Cut Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper Kettle Brand Chip holds the boldest amount of salt and pepper possible."

I forgot that I'd tried these before, and I'm really not sure why I picked them, to be honest, as I don't tend to like pepper chips (I use pepper on plenty of things, but on chips, or french fries, zomg, I just hate pepper!  I can't explain it!).

These were ok ... I do like the krinkle style, nicely folded over pieces, and thickness.  The pepper I didn't care for, and they actually seemed overly salty too.  So ... mostly, good form factor, not flavor for me.

***.
Thick + Bold: Dill Pickle.
"Like the Tangy Spears that inspired them, Kettle Brand Thick and Bold Dill Pickle chips leave you with one thing to decide: In your sandwich, or beside? The extra crunchy thick ridge cut chips offer the perfect balance of tang, dill, onion and garlic. "

These sounded great.  I love dill pickles.  And, yes, I was one of those people who always put pickles and chips into my sandwiches when I was a kid.  So, the pickle flavor sounded right to me!

And ... they were my favorite Kettle chips ever.  The Krinkle Cut is wonderful, as marketed, the ridges help catch all the flavor.  The thick chips have a wonderful crunch.  Form factor alone, these are an enjoyable chip to eat.

The flavor ... it really does remind me of a dill pickle.  A little dill and vinegar, but more onion, garlic, and salt than I'm used to with dill pickles.  Still, an enjoyable flavor, and, I'd get these again.

***.
Dill Pickle - Updated Formula 2021.
"If you say yes to chips and a pickle, every time you walk into a deli, then Kettle Brand Dill Pickle Chips will leave you shook. With all the flavor of both made boldly from whole, thick cut potatoes, you really couldn’t ask for more. Except for maybe that sandwich you went into the deli for in the first place. "

A few years later,  I did indeed get them again.  The pros are still the same: of all Kettle brand chips, I certainly prefer the "thick and bold" style of the Krinkle Cut, as they are thicker, crunchier, and just a form I prefer.  So, great form factor.

Second, they really are an extremely flavorful chip.  Bold, as they say.  And they *do* taste remarkably like pickles.

So, all that is good.  But for me, the flavor isn't quite what I want - I love pickles, but these are a different style of pickle flavor than I prefer, which is kinda impossible to really describe, but, it is what it is.  I was glad to try them again, but I don't think I'd get these again.

***.

[ No Photo ]
Cheddar and Sour Cream (Retired Flavor)

Decent cheddar and sour cream flavor.  Much better than Ruffles.  Very crispy, I really like the form factor.  ***+.

Preview review notes: Super crispy, delicious cheesy flavor, I really like these. Nice and crunchy.

Classic Kettle Chips

"Our classic Chips are made from the whole potato and seasoned with authentic recipes. Cut thick and flavored just past the point of bold, they’re extra in a good way."
This is their original, and namesake kettle style line of products.  My least favorite of their offerings, generally, just thin, standard kettle chips.  They do have some creative flavors though, I'll give them that.
Sweet Chilli and Sour Cream.
"There's nothing like Thai Cuisine for its wonderfully complex balance of flavours. We've added our own twist to the authentic spicy sweetness by combining with the coolness of sour cream."

These are available in Europe only.

When I saw these, I had to try them.  When I lived in Sydney, I became a bit obsessed with potato wedges served with sour cream and sweet chili sauce.  To this day, I still do not understand why we do not have them in the US.  I was interested to see them made into chips.

The chips were basic crunchy kettle chips, nothing remarkable.  The sweet chili flavor was a bit lost though, they tasted more like bbq to me, except bbq crossed with sour cream and cheddar.  Interesting, but, nothing like what I wanted them to be.

**+.
Sriracha.
"Our flavor experts have done it again. This bold flavor is everything you love about the hot sauce on a chip. The combination of chili, garlic, and vinegar creates the authentic taste of the real deal".

These were actually really quite good.  Did they taste like sriracha?  Well, no actually.

Like the sweet chili chips, they reminded me of a bbq chip.  The initial flavor was actually sweet.  They did have a kick to them that came in on the finish.  Really a fun chip to eat, since it evolved from sweet to spicy.  But sriracha?  Nah.  Particularly tasty with some dip.  ***.

Update: I had these again months later, completely forgetting that I had tried them before, and without re-reading this review.  I again liked the flavor, but found that it didn't taste like sriracha at all.  And, again, I enjoyed dipping them in a dip (this time, chive creme fraiche), but I thought they were fine plain too.
Maple Bacon.
"This natural flavor match combines the deep smokiness of bacon, the rich sweetness of real maple syrup and the subtle spice of chili pepper for a nostalgic, comfort food combination. "

These obviously sounded like winners.  Who doesn't love maple and bacon?

Alas, like many other flavors, they really just tasted bbq-esq to me.  BBQ isn't a bad thing, but I really didn't taste anything maple nor bacon about these.  Really, just standard bbq-like kettle chips. ***.
Jalapeño.
"Jalapeño Kettle Brand® Potato Chips have a zesty, south of the border flavor. Striking a perfect balance between fresh, well-rounded flavor and the clean, spicy bite of jalapeño peppers, these all natural chips are easy to eat with a satisfying burn that sneaks up on you. " 

Again, standard kettle style chip with a decent kick from jalapeño.  Crispy, decent.  ***.

Update Review: Nice kick, good flavor.
New York Cheddar.
"When cheese grows up, where does it go? The big city, of course. Sophisticated, bold, confident, and brazen. Comfortable in the penthouse or the subway, this chip is going places. Sometimes we think we’ve gone just a little bit crazy over this chip thing, but big city flavor’ll do that."

I really did not care for these.  They weren't cheesy at all.  I honestly did not taste any cheddar at all.  They were very oily.

Update Review (2022): I've had these before, but it had been years.

I was really in the mood for something cheesy and crispy, and I had visions of the Ruffle's Cheddar & Sour Cream I used to love growing up.  I knew these wouldn't be that, but I did expect to taste some (fake) cheese.  The ingredients do list both cheese and sour cream.

I was very disappointed.

As always, I just don't really care for this style of very crispy, very fried, kettle chip.  I love the assorted chip sizes, and some bent over and some not, but, eh to the actual taste.

But I was in it for the cheese factor.  Except ... these had none.  Seriously, none.  I had far more of the bag than I wanted, hunting for cheese.  It was never found.

What was the flavor?  Uh ... grease and salt?  Really.  I tasted nothing remotely cheesy.

Did not like, and would not get again. *.
Korean Barbeque.
"Remember that time you tasted a sweet and savory mix of plum, garlic, and hoison on a potato chip? No, of course you don’t. Because Kettle Brand Korean Barbecue Chips are a one-of-a-kind flavor flex from the other side of the globe that you never saw coming."

Ok, I may be a bit "meh" on Kettle brand chips but ... how amazing did these sound?  BBQ chips are my favorite, and Korean BBQ sounded even better (and, unique!).

They let me down.  They actually were a fine chip, but, I certainly didn't get the Korean bbq aspect of them.  They had a slightly smoky taste actually, more like a mesquite bbq, and had a sweetness, like Lay's BBQ chips.  So, not bad, and in the bbq department, but, not really the "korean" flavor I was hoping for.

***.
Honey Dijon.
"Kettle Brand Honey Dijon is extra tangy and extra sweet, all at the same time. So extra, extra, read all about it, if you’re looking for thick-cut chips that layer flavor on flavor, these are all you."

Wow, what a fascinating flavor.  I am pretty sure I've never had a honey mustard flavored potato chip before.  It never occurred to me to seek out such a flavor.  But I do absolutely adore dipping french fries (particularly sweet potato fries) in honey mustard (or sweet and sour, or barbecue sauce), so, potatoes & honey mustard is a natural combo for me.  I've just not had it in chip form.

Anyway, I really liked the flavor.  It was tangy like mustard, but sweet (not that it tasted like honey, but, there was a sweetness for sure).  Almost like a barbecue-mustard.  Really a fairly complex and interesting flavor, and for some reason, these chips didn't seem quite as fried either.

Overall, definitely winners, and I'd get them again.

****.

[ No Photos ]
  • Backyard BBQ: "Everyone loves the flavor of Backyard Barbeque® – smoky, spicy, tangy and sweet. ".  Tasting notes:  They were just a standard kettle style bbq chip.  Ok bbq flavor, good crunch, but nothing standout.  Good dipped in greek yogurt! [ Standard crispy bbq chip. Good crispness, but nothing remarkable here ] [ Standard, crispy, kettle chip.  Not special, but not bad. ] [ Not great bbq flavor, crispy, but I don't like them ]
  • Salt & Vinegar: "The perfect balance of zesty sea salt, a hint of tongue-puckering vinegar and satisfying crunch". Tasting notes: These were quite flavorful chips.  I really appreciated both the saltiness and the strong vinegar.  But ... again, the thin style, oily kettle chips just weren't for me. [ Yup, great vinegar flavor, but thin and crispy, and meh ]
  • Sea Salt (Europe Only):  "Sometimes less is more. Thick, full-flavoured slices of carefully selected potato are brought to life with just a sprinkling of sea salt - simple. ". Tasting notes: Just greasy standard kettle chips.  Meh.

Baked

"Kettle Brand Baked potato chips are made from REAL sliced potatoes, unlike many other baked chips you've tried. We take real potatoes. Slice them. Cook them to a crunchy perfection. Then season them with fresh, natural ingredients."
The baked chips also aren't bad.  They clearly don't go too far in the "healthy" direction, still keeping them satisfying.
    Baked Chips.
    Sea Salt: 
    "Only three ingredients in this classic chip: potatoes, oil, and sea salt. Why mess with simplicity? The pureness of a whole potato, thinly sliced, cooked to golden perfection and seasoned with fresh sea salt delivers undeniable flavor and crunch."

    Salty, nice flavor, but I got bored quickly.  Full slices of potato, skin on.  Good when craving salty.  **+.

    Update review:  Pretty tasty, particularly given that they are so much healthier!  Very good dipped in yogurt, reminds me of a baked potato with sour cream.  ***.

    Another update review:  I really like these, particularly when dipped in mac and cheese! So much potato flavor, crispy, good!  My favorite baked style, bar far.  ***+.

    Salt & Vinegar:
    "We've paired a splash of bold and tangy vinegar with a sprinkle of fresh sea salt to give these chips boatloads of flavor. Whole natural slices of our select spuds are cooked into crunchy, golden curves of pure potato, and then brought to life with a spectacular tart, salty finish. ". 

    Nice and crispy, good potato flavor, tangy from vinegar, gladly would eat these. 

    Update review: Really crispy, nice tang from vinegar.

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts with Thumbnails