Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A.G. Ferrari

I've known about A.G. Ferrari for years.  They have several locations in the city, and feature a deli with prepared foods, along with pantry supplies of imported Italian goods.  For a while, my apartment complex got catering from them for our monthly events.  I didn't take notes back then, but I remember some pretty good charcuterie, cheese, and antipasto platters.  But what I really remembered, was the cookies!  They were always the highlight.

I hadn't ever visited their actual stores though, so when I saw them listed on GoPago, I had to try out their deli selections.  The salads I tried were ok, but really, go for the cookies!
Macaroni Salad.  $6.99/lb.
This was very classic macaroni salad, albeit with a non-standard pasta shape.  The pasta was decently cooked, not mushy, but not al dente either.  In the mix was little chopped onions, celery, and hard boiled egg.  The dressing was mayo based.  This wasn't anything remarkable, but it wasn't bad either.  The bits of vegetable added a nice crunch.
Potato Salad.  $7.99/lb.
The potato salad was made with the same base as the macaroni salad, with little bits of egg, red onion, celery, and green onion.  The red onion was very sharp and overwhelmed the rest of the flavors.  There wasn't much seasoning or flavor to it otherwise.  The potatoes were overcooked and mushy.  I didn't like this at all.  The macaroni salad was far better.

[ No photo ]
Swiss Chard & Roasted Garlic Frittata.  $3.99.
"A torte of Swiss chard, roasted garlic and egg."  I hated this.  Now, I don't like frittata in the first place, but they had samples of it out, so I figured I'd give frittata another try.  It was very bitter from the chard.  And ... it was frittata.  Would never try again, even for another free sample!

Cookies

$1.99 each.
  • Chocolate Chocolate Chip: Very fudgy, great flavor, quite good.
  • Chocolate Chip: Moist, good flavor, very good.
  • Sugar: This looked just like any old sugar cookie, not particularly interesting.  But what a surprise!  It was awesome. Super buttery, super sugary, great!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails